Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year's Resolutions for Youth

Today at Youth Group we talked about New Year's resolutions and what God has for each of us for 2013.  It was a great discussion about how we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13) and how we need to fix our eyes on Jesus who is the Author and Perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12).  We then talked about "running the race" of life this year and how we are to forget what is behind and press on toward to prize that God has for us in Christ (Philippians 3).  I was so blessed as the teenagers were getting excited about what the Lord has for them this year.  They even linked it to "what they want to be when they grow up" and they were really dreaming--yet seeing that all things are possible with God.  I really challenged them that the Lord wants to direct them as they set goals for this year.  We then broke off for some time alone and each youth prayed and wrote down on an index card their goals for this year.  I challenged them to keep them in their Bibles as a "guide" when the months drag on and motivation is lacking.  Some of them wanted to share with us what they were praying for this year.  Many answers were to get good grades, to have a better relationship with mom, to pray more, to read the Bible daily, to study harder...and then there were those who are praying:  Lord, I am not going to ask you anymore why I have had to suffer so much at home.  I am going to be thankful because all things are possible with you.  I am praying that my family will have what we need to survive this year.  I am praying that I can take care of my brother with a better attitude.  I pray that I will not be scared of the future or depressed like my mother.  And on and on they prayed....heartfelt prayers that I know God hears...and I feel like they are beginning to see that TRULY NOTHING is impossible with our Almighty God!  I pray this for our youth this year and for us as well!  Join us in praying for these teenagers this year!!!

No comments: